- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
v nervous about this year because I have a lot going on and I’m graduating so so soon, but I’m also the happiest I’ve been in a long time and I’m just getting my life together for post grad and it’s all good I’m good everything is cool right now!
Ferguson’s experience offers lessons in integration (x)
This lines up with studies done on housing segregation a while back. The “racial tipping point” was about 8%. In other words once the perception of the neighborhood was that more than 8% of it was non-white, people (and by that I mean white people) started moving.
While housing segregation has been institutionally enforced (de jure) it’s very commonly individually practiced (de facto).
I’ve been saying this for a very long time and now the studies are bearing it out:
When most white people say “diversity,” what they actually mean is “tokenism.” They actually mean “as long as whites remain dominant and aren’t outnumbered by those Others, then YAY for ‘diversity’ and all the props I get for supporting it!”